My 9/11

Posted: September 10, 2010 in Uncategorized

Nine years ago today I was stationed at Royal Air Force base Lakenheath, UK flying the F-15E Strike Eagle in the 48th Fighter Wing, 494th Fighter Squadron. It was a normal day and due to the time zone difference we had already flown a morning sortie and had gone to the Officer’s Club on base for lunch. My wife had met me there and we had sat down to enjoy some time together before I had to be back at the squadron. The normal TV in the squadron always had the news on but the volume was never turned up; instead the club usually played some music off their CD player. I’ll never forget someone getting our attention to the TV behind the bar when they news broke in to show one of the World Trade Center towers heavily damaged with thick black smoke pouring out of the upper floors. It was a shocking sight that the entire world would see before the end of the day.

As the entire room’s attention focused on the news, we turned the volume up to hear the broadcaster announce that an airplane of some type had crashed into the tower. No other information was known at the time. They didn’t specify the type of plane or how it had happened, just the fact that some type of plane had crashed. In 2001, I had already been a pilot for over 10 years. The weather in NYC that day was perfect. Not a cloud to be seen anywhere on the TV. I knew in my gut from that moment that the crash was deliberate. I turned to my wife and said, “that’s a creative way to blow up the towers”. I had been thinking back to a previous attempt to take down the towers when a van filled with explosives had been driven into the underground parking lot and exploded. Security on street level had been increased significantly since then, making it all but impossible to duplicate that act. It only made sense that to generate a similar effect you could bypass all that security by attacking the towers from the air. My initial thought was that a terrorist had taken a small plane and crashed it deliberately into one of the upper floors to make a statement.

That had reminded me of a small plane that had been crashed into the White House a few years earlier when I used to live near Washington DC. That had made the evening news and I was so curious I went down to take a look at the wreckage. I managed to get to the White House before they had moved any of the wreckage away. The plane had crumbled up next to the building and done very little damage. (Small planes can’t pack very much explosive power, even when fully loaded with fuel). Based on that previous observation I figured this time the plane must have been packed with explosives to cause the kind of damage to the WTC tower we were seeing on TV.

After watching the news for a few minutes, I knew my life was about to change drastically for the foreseeable future. I had been around long enough to know that with any type of terrorist attack, the US was likely to respond with force. Being in the UK, we were already several thousand miles closer to potential targets than our US based forces, so it was logical that we might be quickly tasked to response to such an attack. I had a short discussion with my wife about what was likely to occur in the next few hours and that it would probably be best if she went home until I could call her with an update. We said goodbye and she left for home as I headed back to the squadron.

I arrived back at the squadron and some folks hadn’t even gotten the news yet. The full scale of the mornings events on the east coast hadn’t even occurred yet, so we were still just learning about the first attack on the WTC towers. As I started to inform my squadron mates on the initial news of the crash, we started getting details in that it was a commercial plane involved. The moment the news sank in that the terrorists had hijacked a commercial airliner and crashed it into the tower killing everyone on board, we knew what lay ahead for us. It’s called war.

Most of us had been deployed to combat before. Alot of the squadron had been involved in Operation Allied Force, Operation Southern Watch, Operation Northern Watch, and even a couple had been around since Desert Storm. We all knew this was going to be the beginning of the next “Operation”. As we were all trying to figure out the scope of the attack, the news broke real time of the second plane hitting the other tower. The feeling of shock and disbelief hit all of us as quickly as a punch in the gut. As news of the Pentagon crash reached us it finally start to sink in that this was bigger than anyone could have ever imagined. At that point it wasn’t just an attack that we were watching on TV, it was an attack on all of us.

The base went to it’s highest alert levels to defend itself against a possible attack. We had practiced drills like this before, but this time it was for real. I had never seen anything like it before. The entire base went on total lock down. I’m glad my wife was already home because folks still on base weren’t going anywhere anytime soon. The base was secure. It would take an army to get through our security forces. We still had jets that were out flying local training missions. They were told to immediately return as fast as possible and conduct a combat arrival to minimize risk of being shot at. Crews flying at the time didn’t know all the details, but they knew something big must have happened to be given those instructions. They lit the afterburners and all came back to base supersonic. In fact, the sonic booms caused the local police to get calls of possible bomb explosions which generated much confusion for several hours. After we had safely recovered all the wings fighters back to base, they were immediately reconfigured for combat. Live missiles and weapons were loaded and the fighter wing started to prepare for offensive combat operations. Our long range fuel tanks were uploaded under the wings and each jet was fully loaded with fuel for a possible long range strike mission. As our jets were being configured for war, our aircrew were being prepped for a possible deployment.

We initiated a squadron recall, contacting every person in the unit. Confirming their location and position to make sure everyone was ok. Most were already at work, some were on leave and not in the local area. All leave was cancelled and folks started coming back to base. Some were told to stay home and start packing. Others already at work were told to call home and have our wives start packing us up. Most of us already had a deployment bag ready. It was a hit and run bag that we could grab with no notice and take with us. It would get us by for a week or two, but given the time, most would like to grab a few more things. Next was to pack the squadron. Each office in the squadron is ready to deploy. Most shops or offices in the squadron keep a hit and run locker that can be loaded on a transport in pretty short order. When given the word, we started loading our lockers on a pallet out behind the squadron. When the pallet was ready, it would be loaded onto to a cargo plane or tanker capable of carrying it with us to our destination. None of us knew where we were going, how long we’d be gone, or when we’d be coming back. All we knew was this attack wasn’t go to go unanswered and we’d be ready to launch as soon as the word came down.

Within a few short hours, we were ready to launch. The squadron was packed, our bags were ready, the jets were fueled, we watched the news. The base was still locked down and we all sat and watched the news as the full details were now becoming clear as 4 jets had been hijacked and crashed and the entire airspace over the United States had been shut down. We stayed in our ready rooms until it was too late for us to launch that day. At some point it became clear to our leadership that we had time to go home and get some sleep, we probably weren’t going to be leaving that day. When the call was made, we all left for home, leaving just a few at the squadron to monitor the phones, just in case.

Arriving home, you can only imagine the shared concern our families had over what had that day, as well as what future lay ahead. My bags were neatly waiting for me by the front door. Just to be safe, I put them in the trunk of the car. I packed a few extra things in a spare bag and threw that in the car as well. I wouldn’t have been surprised if I had gotten a call in the middle of the night telling us to come in, it was go time.

We went to sleep that night, Sept 11th, 2001, knowing that the world had changed. It wouldn’t be long before our jets would be flying combat missions over Afghanistan. They were there in 2001, they are still there today, and they will continue to be there in the future as long as they are needed to answer our nations calling. Little did I know that day at lunch in the Officer’s Club, that in the next 9 years, I would spend almost 3 years deployed to the Middle East spread over 5 different deployments.

It has been a major part of our life. For an old guy like me, it’s consumed almost 25% of my life. For some of our younger members, it’s almost half. For some’s military service, it’s all they know. It’s not something we remember once a year, it’s something we live every day. Four of my friends have been killed in combat and those memories will never fade.

As long as there are extreme people in this world that want nothing more than to utterly destroy our way of life, we must never forget that day, nine years ago today, 9/11/01. May those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country never be forgotten.

Freedom is not free.

  1. Thank you for your side, a crucial side, to our story. Most of all, thank you for your service to our country. Freedom is so beyond FREE.

  2. Steve Tupper says:

    Thanks for the insider’s view. When I drove to work on the morning of the 12th, there were circular contrails above downtown Detroit (most likely Vipers from Selfridge ANGB on patrol). I’d never seen a contrail before that went anything other than straight or maybe slightly bent at an airway intersection.

    I wondered what it might be like on bases around the world in the hours and days after the attacks. Thanks again for this account.

  3. Tony Roper says:


    That’s an interesting read, and good to get it from a USAFE point of view. It is much like my day, but from a UK Air Traffic Control point of view.

    I remember stepping out of my flat on my way to work at the London Area Control Centre, as my phone rang; it was my girlfriend. She told me an aircraft had crashed into one of the Twin Towers in NY. I said it had happened before, a light aircraft had crashed into one, but she stopped me and said it may be an airliner. I immediately said to her that it had to be have been done on purpose, I’ve visited the centres and airports of NY and knew that it was highly unlikely to have been an accident.

    I got into my car and headed off to work, and I remember thinking, this is gonna cause carnage today if it escalates.

    15 minutes later or so and i’m driving past the 27L threshold at Heathrow and the phone rings again. It’s my girlfriend and she’s really upset saying she’s just watched another airliner live on TV crash into one of the towers. I just said “OK, its definately terrorists, get home from London now………oh and i’m going to be late home tonight”

    At work when I arrived no-one really knew much, rumours really. But it soon picked up the pace, and before we knew it airspace was closing and the traffic was starting to build up.

    I was just an assistant at the time, but there weren’t enough controllers on duty to cope with the build up of traffic. I was delegated a co-ordinators role as an emergency and sat with one controllers Kumi Jones, who died a few years ago from cancer. At one stage we were holding aircraft at the Strumble VOR from Flight Level 70 (7000ft) right up to FL390 (39000ft), Cardiff was full up with diversions within half an hour or so, and slowly aircraft returned to Heathrow, Gatwick etc.

    Traffic was diverting even further, I remember a CSA Airlines returning to Prague from Strumble, but I also remember French ATC not only refusing to take back traffic, they continued to just transfer more aircraft even though we said we couldn’t take any more. It took a long time to get them to comply.

    Probably the worst part of it was when a United 767 checked in from the French. He said straight away that he’d received a message from Ops that he had to divert to Heathrow but hadn’t been told why. Then an American Airlines 767 said the same. We had to check first, but eventually we told them why. There was a very big silence on the frequency after.

    Then, as the skies cleared with airliners, the first military aircraft started appearing. And by the end of my shift, of only a couple of minutes break throughout, all that was left in UK airspace on radar was military aircraft orbiting the skies.

    Rgds Tony
    ATCO Prestwick Area Control Centre, UK

  4. rockwatching says:

    Freedom isn’t free! how absolutely true. Somebody has to bear the brunt for a guy who wants to exercise his freedoms at the expense of others who have to work to help him keep it (yesterday’s Koran issue). Anyway, your 911 was real interesting reading. I was in the British Army during a couple of history changing incidents and like you, I sat there wondering where the crazy ride would take me.

  5. This is a great post and may be one that needs to be followed up to see what happens

    A comrade e-mailed this link the other day and I will be desperately looking your next write. Proceed on the impressive work.

  6. […] the article written by D.S. a US fighter pilot for his blog to describe his 9/11 on the 9th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York City and […]

  7. […] the article written by D.S. a US fighter pilot for his blog to describe his 9/11 on the 9th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York City and […]

  8. Steven Freemont says:

    Thanks for sharing. All of us who have served during these last 13 years have similar yet unique stories. Always great to read or hear from others. All the best!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s